Monday, September 2, 2013

Staying Alive

Yeah, I know. John Travolta, disco, and polyester.

I haven't written in a long time. And I'm changing direction from what I had been writing. Instead of trying to be clever or pithy, I'm going to write about my adventures (better than struggles) in trying to survive on about $900.00 a month. I live in a lovely house with "D", we have lived together in various relationship stages since 1997. He's a good guy. It's a quiet and relatively uneventful life and that's just fine with me.

I hope to share recipes and my forays into sewing and knitting.  I will also mention products I like and good deals I find. I don't have binders full of coupons to buy lots of products I don't need. Nor do I go from store to store depending on the ads. To me, it's a waste of time, money, and gas. And occasionally I will talk about things that are important to me - like "Doctor Who".

On to the good stuff.

My best deal - Target has Glad Press and Seal Plastic Wrap for $2.50 each. I bought two, and didn't have any coupons. I don't use it a lot so the two rolls should last quite a while.

Today I made pulled pork in the crockpot. So easy and, modestly speaking, delicious.

Thinly slice two onions and put in the bottom of the crockpot. I used sweet onions, I like their flavor. Add garlic (I use dehydrated garlic I get at the warehouse store. I know all the food purists are aghast. But again, it's a money saver. ). Add one cup of chicken broth - I used the store brand low sodium.

Make a rub. I put in brown sugar, cinnamon, cumin, red pepper, salt and pepper. I don't measure - the term season to taste comes to mind here.  Pat the pork roast dry (I had an approximate 3.5 lb pork shoulder roast). Put the rub over the entire roast and place in crockpot.  I cooked it on the eight hour setting. Remove the meat at the end of the cooking time, it will be falling apart. Shred using two forks removing all the fat and, of course, the bone. Drain the liquid and onions into a colander and put the onions and meat back into the crockpot. I actually didn't drain all the liquid, reserving a bit on the bottom of the crockpot. Add barbecue sauce, again to taste. I don't like pulled pork that has so much sauce you end up wearing it.

Serve and enjoy!

These are photos I took of the process. We had cole slaw and some bread with the pulled pork. The pineapple wasnt a part of the menu.







No comments:

Post a Comment