Monday, March 14, 2011

Judge and Judging

I'm not talking about a judge on one of the many "reality" shows that have judges or one of the many judge shows that are so ubiquitous on daytime TV.  In one of my Lenten readings by Thomas Merton he asks the question about how we judge others.  I am an extremely judgmental person.  I admit it.  Having been laid up the past couple days with the knee and a cold I had a lot of time to think about this failing.

As many of my friends can attest my judgmental comments are frequently presented humorously.  But is it humor or ridicule?  It is actually very cruel and immature behavior.  And once started becomes a way of looking at everyone and everything through the veil of judgment.  I'm not the only one who does it.  It is part and parcel of the human experience.  We see it on TV all the time.  One of my favorite shows is "What Not to Wear", and at times the hosts are very cutting in their comments.  I think there can be a better way to explain why clothing doesn't work on a person, but that probably would lower ratings.

So, this leads me to my conclusion.  I need to be mindful of what I think and say about others.  Before I get ready to blurt out a judgmental comment about someone I am going to count to 10, maybe that will help me become a kinder gentler Beth.  I can only hope that is the case.

2 comments:

  1. Recognizing the behavior is like being half-way there. As one who has done herself, I know it ain't easy. Good for you for giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I'm reading this book that suggests things to try for 37 days & that's the one I'm on right now. Hard, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete