Sunday, March 6, 2011

Elks and the London Bridge

I have been thinking about sending a letter to Governor Jan Brewer of Arizona about some observations I had while we drove through Arizona.  But, I don't want to burden her, she has enough on her plate what with that pesky immigration law and even peskier high crime statistics. 

We drove from California to Flagstaff.  It was a pleasant drive through a landscape that went from desert to snow covered forests.  I saw a sign for Lake Havasu and the London Bridge, anglophile that I am I took the exit and never looked back.  We came to the town and saw more signs pointing to the London Bridge, kept following the signs to London Bridge Dr., we kept driving and all of a sudden we were back on the main highway.  What?  Where's the bridge?  Saw the lake, it's beautiful.  Saw some awesome houses as well.  But never found the bridge.  Do they only display it certain days of the week?  Since we wanted to get to our hotel in Flagstaff by dinner I had to give up the search for the London Bridge.  The above photo is of the London Bridge which may or may not be at Lake Havasu.  I wonder what Muldur and Scully would make of this.....

As we got into the higher country with all the forests I started seeing signs for Elk crossing, you know, they're like the deer crossing signs - but for elks.  I got out my camera and waited.  And waited.  Okay, it's night and it's cold, all the elks are probably at their respective lodges hanging out.  The next day we went to the Grand Canyon.  If you've never been - GO.  I'm not even going to try to describe the magnificence I saw.  All through the drive around the South Rim kept seeing more Elk crossing signs.  Even after we left the Grand Canyon and were headed east to Albuquerque there were still some signs.  Never. Saw. One. Elk.  Why would they put up those signs?  Do the Elks only come out on certain days?  Actually, I did see the head of an Elk on a beam at the El Tovar Hotel at the Grand Canyon where we stopped for lunch.  Could that be the elk the signs were referring to.  Here again I have to wonder what Muldur and Scully would make of the missing elks....

1 comment: