Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday

I have never understood calling Shrove Tuesday Fat Tuesday. I mean I understand the etymology thanks to Wikipedia.  (What did we do before Wikipedia?)  And I've never understood Mardi Gras or Carnival.  The crazy partying before Lent begins.  I understand the eating of rich, fatty foods before the tradition of fasting during Lent begins.  The church I went to until I moved out of my home town had, and still has, a Pancake Supper on Shrove Tuesday.  I always enjoyed going to that.  Now granted I can eat pancakes anytime, but it was always special on Shrove Tuesday.  But when did the whole Fat Tuesday/Carnival/Mardi Gras come to mean partying in the streets, drinking until you're sick, acting like a fool while you're drinking, wearing very little clothing depending on the locale and wearing plastic beads.  Even in my younger partying days I had no interest in attending celebrations like that.  Halloween was enough, but that's another story for another time.  And that's all I have to say on the subject of the Tuesday before Lent begins. 

2 comments:

  1. the world's a wreck. period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of Mardi Gras celebrated with parades and balls and all that sort of revelry, but what it has become now is ridiculous. Mardi Gras, done right, is actually one of my favorite holidays.

    ReplyDelete