Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Binge. A Purge. A Fast

No, this isn't about some weird new weight loss program involving beet juice and bean curd - ewwww. This is about a change in my life and more importantly in my thinking.  I really, really like to shop.  And given my present income that's not a smart thing to do.  So, I am going to fast, but first.....

The binge:  I went on a mammoth shopping spree that started in 2007 and didn't really end until now. I won't go into the reason I started on this path, but I went on it full tilt.  I bought clothes, shoes, jewelry, purses, and then bought more of the same. I bought things I didn't like that I ended up returning or giving away.  And I didn't buy inexpensive items, I went to stores where they fawned all over me, stroking my ego until I bought something. I even bought a Volvo.  Almost all of that stuff is now gone.  And that's where the purge begins.

Since we moved here I've been systematically getting rid of things.  I've sold all of the expensive jewelry.  I don't miss it - well that's not true - I wish I hadn't sold one piece, but it was necessary. I gave the Volvo back to the bank.  I consigned a lot of my clothing, but I also would keep buying things.  I had my walk-in closet and half of the walk-in closet in the guest room full of clothing - a good part of which I never wore.  I had two dressers full of clothes.  At least four huge storage bags full of clothes.  And then there were the purses.  Most of the designer purses are gone - either consigned or sold on ebay.  Again, I don't miss them.

But starting in this past August the real purge began.  I went through everything.  I was ruthless in culling my wardrobe.  A lot of items went to charity, a few went to consignment, and a very small amount got tossed.  I am now down to one closet and one dresser.  There are still two storage bags, but the clothing is seasonal.  I can't even begin to write about how good it felt to get rid of all these items.  I didn't realize it at the time but all of this "stuff" was weighing me down. I was surrounded by so much I didn't need or want.  And now to the fast....

I've been reading a newsletter about a minimalist lifestyle. One article I read really stuck with me, it was about going on a shopping fast.  Specifically shopping for clothing.  Such a great concept.  So as of the beginning of October I am on a shopping fast.  My goal is to not buy any new items of apparel.  None.  Zip. Nada.  However, there are one or two caveats.  Underwear -sort of essential, so I will allow that and my favorite pair of New Balance shoes will not last another year, and I wear these a lot - especially in the colder weather.  I will have to replace those.  But nothing else, I hope to expand this fast to include purses - that's a tough one because I really, really, really like purses!

And, if I just have to have something new....I have a large dresser drawer full of fabric and a sewing machine. I used to be a good seamstress, so I need to dust off those skills because that is the only way I will get any new clothing!

I think this will be difficult at times, but in the long run it is a challenge worth taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment