Sunday, October 20, 2013

Spirituality and Good Food

Recently I had the opportunity to go back to my home town in Ohio.  I had forgotten how beautiful it can be in autumn.  The trees weren't at peak but while I was there the temps dropped and there was some rain and then the colours were in full force everywhere. While I have seen beautiful autumns in various places around the country there is something about autumn where I grew up that tugs at my heart and fills me with joy.

While at home I had breakfast with a very dear friend.  We met at a restaurant called Der Dutchman.  I had heard of this restaurant but had never eaten there.  It's in Plain City, OH.  Plain City, surrounded by farms, once had a thriving Amish community.  As I was ambling, for I felt no urge to speed, down a two-lane highway I marveled at the neatness of the farms some still with corn stalks in their fields.  But there was a cleanness to their lines that shone against the blue sky. I know that farming is hard work, and I believe it is a calling as well. 

As I drove past these farms I thought about values that are taught in rural areas.  Like the value of hard work or of keeping promises.  And a strong and quiet belief in God.  Why has this gone so out of style? It seems these days that so many people prate on and on about what good Christians they are. The worst offenders are politicians.  But next to them are televangelists and preachers at the so-called mega churches.  I look at them with a great amount of mistrust because I don't feel they "walk the walk".  

I have always believed that a strong quiet faith in which a person is not exhorting other for money or votes or browbeating others to convert to "the only true faith" is the way to live. It is the people of this strong and quiet faith, in any religion, who do the most good in the world because they work the hardest at their faith.  They're not perfect, they probably falter more than we would ever know, but they're not crying on TV about their missteps.  They pray, ask for guidance, and continue working.  I think this sort of faith has gone out of style.  It isn't flashy, it isn't newsworthy, and it isn't easy.  But, for me, it makes sense and it's how I wish to live. I'm not a regular church goer and I do, at times, beat myself up over it.  I know of several Episcopal churches near me but getting out the door is so difficult, or rather I make it difficult. But I keep persevering in my belief that I will make it sooner rather than later. Even if I were a regular church goer I wouldn't talk about it much, I wouldn't put "Jesus" bumper stickers on my car or constantly post on Faceboook about what a good Christian I am. I always feel people like that are trying to impress others while at the same time convincing themselves of their goodness and superiority. 

When I came back home I was running some errands one afternoon and I was filled, again, with great joy, for I felt that I have an embarrassment of riches. I had some groceries along with new underwear (a necessity at times) in my trunk and new books to read at home plus a couple I had just gotten at the library.  This feeling is still persisting and it's so joyous and hopeful. 

What has all of this to do with good food.  Well, it's about the Der Dutchman restaurant.  They are a small chain in Ohio with one restaurant in Florida, the link is below.  It is simple, plain food.  And it is delicious.  It was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had.  Everything was fresh, there was nothing processed or pre-made and reheated, and I enjoyed every single bite.  Well, except for the fried cornmeal mush my friend ordered for me, I just didn't like it.  I don't like corn fritters or grits either.  Just a personal taste.  If you ever get the chance to go to a Der Dutchman restaurant do it, it's worth the drive, even to go a bit out of your way.  Take the time to enjoy a good meal, it's a good place to relax and you will enjoy every bite.  And maybe while you're driving there you'll find some peace and joy and enjoy the beauty of the earth and sky.

http://www.dhgroup.com/en/seg/restaurants.php 


No comments:

Post a Comment